Are you planning a family photo session, but unsure of the best way to approach it? At Monty Nuss Photography, we’ve done lots of family photo shoots throughout the Denver area, and we’ve developed a few tricks to help us get great photos that you’ll look back on fondly for years to come.
Every family has a unique dynamic, and the key to a successful photo shoot is to allow your family’s personality to drive the process. The following tips will help you determine the right way to approach the photo session in a way that brings your family dynamic to life.
Structure the Photo Shoot Around an Activity
Incorporating an activity into your photos is a great way to highlight the personality of your family. Ideally, you’ll want to choose an activity that the entire family can do together. Some fun options include:
- Reading books to your kids
- Playing games with the entire family
- Outdoor activities such as throwing a ball, dancing or enjoying nature
- Watching a TV show together in the living room
- Cooking in the kitchen
If your family photo session is being held in a setting other than your own home, bring a few props that you can use when organizing these activities. This will provide some variety to the pictures you’re able to get.
Include Your Pets
Your pet is a part of your family. It provides a source of unconditional love that makes your home a warmer, more positive environment. Whenever possible, look for opportunities to involve your pets in your family photo session.
Dogs are easy to incorporate into your photo shoot. It’s easy to bring them along to just about any location you choose as your backdrop. We recommend that you bring some treats along to help ensure your dog remains compliant.
Cats can be a little more challenging to include in a photo session, especially if you choose a location other than your house. If you’d like to have your cat in the photos, we recommend doing the photo session at your home.
Vary Your Photos as Much as Possible
The more varied your photos, the more likely you are to capture a lot of great moments. In addition, changing up the photos will keep the session feeling fresh over the course of the day. It will also potentially provide an opportunity for everyone to get a break periodically while others are the focus of the pictures being taken.
Consider including the following photos as part of your family session:
- Individual portraits – Group shots are great, but make sure you get some individual portrait photos for everyone in your family. These can be great to hang on your wall.
- Partial group photos – You’ll have plenty of photos with your whole family, but it’s great to have smaller group shots as well. Make sure to take a few photos with just the parents without the kids. You should also take some pictures of the kids without the parents.
- Candid photos – Once you’ve gotten some full group photos with a more formal pose, consider taking some candid photos as well. These give your family an opportunity to act a little silly and have some fun. This will lighten the mood as you get tired, and it can produce some unexpected gems.
Bring a Change of Clothes
Another great way to vary your photos is to bring a change of clothes. New outfits will breathe new life into your session, making the photos feel fresh as the day goes on. There are other benefits to having extra clothes on hand:
- Kids tend to spill things all over their clothes. Having a new outfit will prevent unexpected stains from marring your photo session.
- Weather can change quickly in Denver. Storms roll in unexpectedly, and the temperature can drop drastically as the sun begins to set. Bringing warm, dry layers can keep everyone comfortable in the event that the weather doesn’t cooperate with your photo session plans.
Helping You Capture Life’s Special Moments
Monty Nuss Photography has been Denver’s premier family photographer for over 35 years. We have a wealth of experience running family sessions, and we can help you capture wonderful moments that you’ll treasure for the rest of your life.
Our approach is ideally suited to a family photo session. We’ve created our Uniquely You Experience™ in order to better celebrate your family by brining your personality and style to life in every photo. As part of this approach, we:
- Take time to get to know your family and what is important to you
- Discuss your goals and expectations for what you’d like to achieve during your family photo session
- Provide guidance on wardrobe, session location, and all other important logistical aspects of the process
- Coordinate backgrounds to complement your clothing choices and personal style
- Use the latest systems, processes and materials to deliver the best quality photos
We look forward to developing an ongoing relationship with your family, and we want to be there to help you capture many important moments as your family grows over the coming years. After your family photo session, you’ll receive a free session when you come back for another life celebration.
Schedule Your Family Session
Please contact us today to schedule your family photo session. Monty Nuss Photography serves families throughout the Denver metro area.